The Saturday tour will start about 45 minutes following the races tomorrow (approximately 6:30 pm) and we will gather at the stable gate. The stable gate is located off Canterbury Rd. From 169, go west on Canterbury Rd, through the first stoplight (McDonalds, Culvers) and continue until you hit Barenscheer Blvd. Take a left, the stable gate is the first left on this road.
Monthly Archives: July 2011
Crown the Cat – Filllies Race for Hope
Crown the Cat Posts a Workout
Crown the Cat worked out this morning and covered three furlongs in 35.40 seconds. The workout was the second fastest of 25 workouts at that distance this morning.
Race on Sunday Appears to be the Plan
The race today drew 8 but looks like it is being held for Sunday, July 31 on Fillies Race for Hope. We’ll enter for Sunday on Thursday of this week and we’ll be keeping tabs on the plan.
No Race Sunday – Plans for Next Week
The race for Sunday only drew six horses, the same six that were entered yesterday. A $5,000 N2L race is in the book as a substitute race for Thursday, July 28. For now, the plan will be to enter here. This should be more or less the same group she was entered against the day that we scratched prior to the shutdown.
Race Fails to Fill on Saturday
As some of you have noticed, Crown the Cat’s race did not go for Saturday. Unfortunately, due to the fact that we haven’t raced in three weeks, there are a lot of horses that are ready to run and it will take a pretty large field to get the race to go.
Breakdown of Vet Bills & June Training Bill
We apologize that it has taken us this long to catch up on bills. I will outline below the following bills: May Vet and June Training. This will be a rather lengthy post simply due to the amount of information that will be contained.
Waiting for Something, Anything
Your filly is training well and is ready to run.
But where? Should the budget be resolved, Canterbury will open immediately and will resume racing on the next scheduled day.
There is nothing in the condition book for CtC on Thursday or Friday but there is a non-winners of two lifetime (N2L) sprint on Saturday at the $10,000 claiming level. That probably is the place to enter. It would be grea to race on Fillies Race for Hope day and be part of that event and there is a N2L route carded that day, July 31. Might be a quick turnaround to try both and of course she could win the sprint. We will have to play that by ear. It is likely the route would fill but risking it and then not racing at all would be crushing.
The Assiniboia attempt did not pan out as she just did not come back from the abscess as quickly as hoped. Kenny took a few to Lincoln Fair in NE and won last night. There was a N2L there for Sunday but he was shipping out before entry time and it seemed like a poor plan to risk it and van over there in hopes of the race filling. It did not fill.
So now we continue to wait until St. Paul shakes things out.
I apologize for the lack of info this past week. Andrew and I have been dealing with media and planning with the few remaining staff members here about reopening. Those plans of course change daily as we lose court cases and the budget battle drags on forcing cancelation after cancelation. Twelve racing days in all now.
On another note, Racino is very much alive in St. Paul. If you believe in the cause, give your legislators a call TODAY. Racino is a way to pay for this education shift rather than just allowing the debt to pile up.
Any thoughts, please post a comment
Entered for Thursday
Crown the Cat is entered to run Thursday at Canterbury Park in race 2: a $5,000 claiming six furlong sprint for non winners of 2 races lifetime. Exactly the spot for her! She drew post three and has Ry Eikleberry aboard.
Now of course we need the track to reopen.
CtC has all four shoes on now. Kenny took her to the track this morning for a jog. He said she went well and felt good. He may breeze her tomorrow to see where she is.
For now we will stay put at Canterbury but should this shutdown extend into next weekend we may have to again consider shipping somewhere to run. We are seeing more and more trainers entering elsewhere but there has been no exodus of horses from the grounds.
We really need to hope that the judge reconsiders her decision based on the additional info provided an allows us to reopen. It is time to put 1,000 people back to work at Canterbury Park.
Friday Crown the Cat Update
After consulting with her trainer, it has been determined that Crown the Cat is going to need some additional training prior to running another race. Kenny had hoped she’d be a little further along, but it appears that she needs some more rigorous conditioning after taking nearly 5 days off due to the foot issue. It is possible that she may even put in a timed work over one of the next few days. We’ll let you know if that takes place.
Therefore, she will not run in the race in Canada and racing here has been canceled through at least Saturday. We’ll let Kenny train her over the weekend and we will examine our options come the beginning of next week. These options are likely to include races in Iowa or Nebraska if we are not able to run here.
Owning a horse can require patience. Hopefully Kenny will be able to get the Cat into top shape by early next week and then we will be able to better determine where she will be able to race.