Post Race Update and Plans Moving Forward

Jeff spoke with Clay yesterday and all reports have been positive about Great Bam following his victory just over one week ago. Clay reported that he came out of the race just fine and that he plans to move forward and run him again within the next couple of weeks or so.

That being said, the most logical races coming up in the Condition Book for Great Bam fall on Saturday, October 27. Currently, the Condition Book has both a $5,000 and $10,000 claiming race listed for non-winners of three races lifetime. One of these races will be the most likely spot to find Bam.

The $5,000 race will be contested at six and one half furlongs while the $10,000 race will be contested at six furlongs. There aren’t substantial differences in purse levels as the $5,000 race carries an $11,000 purse and the $10,000 race carries a $12,500 purse.

The $10,000 race was last contested on October 10 and featured a few horses dropping out of tougher competition. Four of the 10 horses entered in the race had previously run against either $16,000 claimers or against allowance foes. It would certainly be a step up for Bam who didn’t beat much last time out.

The $5,000 N3L race was contested a couple of times this past weekend. Clay won that race this past Saturday when Already There stalked a quick pace and took over to win by a little over a length. Already There shipped up to the Brinson barn this summer from Southern California notching one victory, one second-place finish and one sixth-place finish at Canterbury before going down to Hawthorne.

On Sunday, Clay sent out Aikman in another $5,000 N3L at a distance of six furlongs. Unfortunately, Aikman was disqualified for interference in late stretch and placed second. Additionally, Aikman was claimed by new owner/trainer Michael Revis.

Best guess is you see Bam resurface in a $5,000 N3L race on October 27 (assuming it fills). However, we’ll leave the final decision-making to Clay as he’s best able to determine where the horse fits.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Post Race Update and Plans Moving Forward

  1. Sounds like Great Bam was just waiting for the right cercomstances to come out on TOP!! Thanks Clay and Seth!! Hopefully, we will be in the same position next time. I still haven’t ordered a pic and will have to do soon!!!

  2. Interesting. Which race? I can see advantages to both.

    $5000 – Perhaps easier competition, possible win, good chance of being claimed. A slightly longer race. Which would be the best distance for Bam? 6 or 6 1/2? If the main goal is for Bam to be claimed (and possibly win) I would think this would be the best place to run him.

    $10,000 – Perhaps a more difficult race to win, not quite as likely to be claimed at the higher price. Maybe a good chance to see if he’s ready for some tougher races. Perhaps a better distance for him also? If the goal is to see what the horse is capable of doing and to continue enjoying his races this may be the best choice. There still would be time in the next couple of months for him to drop back to the $5000 level again and be claimed if he’s not ready for this level.

    Many factors to consider. (I do know which I would prefer but it’s not my decision.)

    Either way I trust Clay’s judgment to make the best decision for the horse.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s