MARYJEAN steps into allowance ranks Friday night and it does appear that her figures make her competitive here. Let’s take a look at the field.
1) Platinum Lady (Heitzmann/Butler) – She had two near misses in MSW company followed by a powerhouse win. Her huge jump in speed figures appears to be an anomaly, but may the addition of Butler made the difference? If her last is an indication of her true ability then we are all battling for second.
2) Visual Blessing (Bolinger/Martinez) – Hasn’t won since May of ’13. She finished 4th at this level two back before being outrun on Extreme Day in the 2 furlong dash.
3) Informal Fannie (Bethke/Stevens) – Took a state bred allowance last out. Speed figures appear to make her a cut below the rest in here but she does have some early speed which can be dangerous at Canterbury.
4) Holiday N Newport (Brinson/Martin) – Clay’s other horse in the race is a $6250 claim who ran third at this level, off the turf, last time out. It is worth noting, however, that she was beaten soundly by the top two. She likes to be near the lead and with our girl’s running style, a pace prompter is always welcome.
5) Princess Dinah (Padilla/Canchari) – This is the lady that Alex is riding. She had a very solid two starts at Arlington over the polytrack there and had a respectable third in her first out here in June, though fialing as the favorite. A former Brinson runner, Clay does not think that she is out of our class at all.
6) Mount Stepney (Sweere/Escobar) – She’s hit the board in all three career starts and finished second behind an excellent performance by It’s Amore at this level last out in her first start of 2014 where she tried to come off the place rather than show the speed she did in her two 2013 efforts.
7) MARYJEAN (BRINSON/EIKLEBERRY)
Winning this one will be difficult. If PLATINUM LADY is the real deal then, like I mentioned above, we’re all running for second. A couple of things do play in MJ’s favor: PLATINUM LADY will want to be close to the lead but many of the others will want to be on or near the lead as well. This should hopefully push the pace along quicker than anyone (but us!) want it to be. If Dean Butler can rate the favorite off the pace and not get dragged along too quickly, they are going to be really tough when the running starts.
MJ may be coming from a bit further off the pace than she is used to in what promises to be pretty quick early fractions. I think she can outrun VISUAL BLESSING and PRINCESS DINAH – I’m just not sure if she came overcome Platinum Lady.
Good luck and see you tomorrow night!