TERICE’s race in video, courtesy of Michelle Benson, appears below. She came back great and we’ll look to get her in closing weekend.
MARYJEAN drew the 1 spot in Thursday night’s 6th race with Alex Canchari aboard. The race is a $5,000 claiming race going 6 furlongs over the main track.
We’ve been installed as the 3-1 morning line favorite and group 3 will take to the paddock to try and recapture the magic or race 1!
I am traveling all next week and won’t be here for the race and with it being the 6th and Heather having to work in Rochester early the next morning she won’t be up either. However, Michelle will be around as will the ubiquitous Jeff Maday.
Preview to come…good luck!
The first quarter was over 25 seconds and the half mile was :49.40 – not a snail’s pace but certainly not the fast pace we wanted to run at, for sure.
That said, I thought TERICE did a nice job, she still closed some, though she flattened out when I thought she might have been able to get up for 3rd. It could be that she was a bit too far back, given the pace (though it’s hard to be up close when you break from the 11 spot and the two outside you go) but the front-runners certainly had plenty left after that early pace.
If all goes well we hopefully will see one more start out of her before the end of the meet.
Look for MARYJEAN entering on Wednesday for next Saturday. Don’t forget too, that next Saturday Canterbury will go back to day racing and the 12:45 pm post time.
As we’ve all heard, we were supposed to be inundated with rain tonight so there is the possibility that this race comes off the turf. With that will come a plethora of scratches which will change the complexion of the race and would render this preview moot; or at the very least, irrelevant. But who knows, now they’re talking just scattered thunderstorms for the Shakopee area…I guess we’ll wait and see!
Clay and I discussed whether or not she will run if it comes off the turf. While we didn’t come to any conclusions – we’re going to see how bad it is and go from there – the odds are even money that we will race in the slop.
Group 2, you all lead the way and there is a section in Silks set aside for the Club.
1. NATALIES STORM (Pearson/Butler) -Two previous tries on the turf with no success but has come in 2nd in her lone try over a wet track.
2. LAURA BEASLEY (McFarlane/Escobar) – Strictly a turfer thusfar but does seem to be a touch below these group in the speed figure department.
3. ACARPIAN (Diodoro/Franco) – Very consistent filly, especially at this level where she hits board regularly. She’ll be close to the pace throughout but has never run on a wet main track.
4. KRAZY FOR KUGEL (Silva/Arroyo) – Solid low level claimer though has not proven to be particularly adept over the turf. She does like the dirt and certainly likes the distance. If it’s an off-track, this will be her first try so tough to say how she’ll handle it.
5. NUMBER ONE GAL (House/Carreno) – Best running is done on or near the lead, which works out for us as long as there is at least one other. She’s run into trouble when facing better than $5000 claimers though she is 1-0-1 in 2 wet track starts.
6. WILD LUNA (Turco/Shepherd) – Her turf debut a couple of starts back wasn’t bad, but she was beaten pretty good by many of these in her last out.
7. I’VE HEARD RUMORS (Becker/Martinez) – Very consistent on the Arlington poly. Also been very successful over te Canterbury turf, never missing the board in 8 career starts.
8. MUNDY (Chambers/Bell) – Our old friend has learned to route a bit though it certainly would be beneficial for us if she would revert back to her old style for a race!
9. TACTICAL GIRL (Sweere/Velasquez) – Made a very impressive turf debut, nosing out the leader near the wire to win at 36-1 – this level and beat many of these in the process.
10. RECLUSIVE (Lund/Eikleberry) – Oft-claimed filly is very consistent at this level. Has won on the front end and charging off the pace. Never has run on an off main track.
11. TERICE (BRINSON/MARTIN)
12. SIMPLY SECRET (Silva/Ordaz) – Mare ripped through her conditions sprinting but has not quite found her stride going longer.
Any breakdown of the race would be conjecture at this point, knowing that weather and scratches will play a role in forming the shape of the race so I’m going to approach this like it’s going to be on a firm turf course.
TERICE is certain to come off the pace so that means we’ll need something to run at. Right now it appears that there is a dearth of speed with only KRAZY FOR KUGEL and NATALIES STORM showing recent front running style. That said, it’s much more difficult for speed to hold in a route on the turf than it is in a dirt sprint. A lot is going to depend upon Eddie Martin’s ability to find clear sailing late so TERICE can make her late run and keep her personal winning streak alive. If we turn into the lane with an open path to the front, we will be VERY tough to beat, but it’s a full field and racing luck is going to play a large role – maybe larger – than skill.
ALL of this is subject to change should the rain falls, the race comes off the turf, horses scratch and maybe some of the Also Eligibles draw in.
Good luck and see you tonight!
Here are some of the pictures that Heather took on the final tour. I hope that you enjoy them!
Also attached are the July financials. You’ll notice we still do not have a vet bill from the beginning of the season. Hopefully they will start coming in shortly!
Here is the July financial statement.
TERICE drew the 11 spot for the third race Thursday night. She’ll run right back at the spot we claimed her for: $7500 with a premium to $12,500 for Minnesota Breds.
The race is about 7 1/2 furlongs over the turf. I believe Group 2 is in the paddock for the race. Hopefully you all can bring us luck and back to the winners’ circle!
Here is another great video from Michelle Benson of MARYJEAN’s race day:
Terice’s race didn’t get used for Sunday so we’re going to take a different tact and shoot for a slightly lower race on Thursday evening that has a better chance of filling. Because it would be on the turf, it would be one of the first races on the card because of the constraints of daylight these days.
Fingers crossed we go on Thursday.
We entered Terice for a race yesterday for Saturday but the race did not fill. It was brought back as an extra today for Sunday and entries will be taken again. Fingers crossed that we get in and we go on Sunday. I’ll let you know later this afternoon via this blog.
Admittedly that was disappointing. We got the race we wanted but we weren’t the one closing at the end. She was wide throughout which I don’t think Alex could have helped. She broke well and the horses inside didn’t clear off or back off so she was stuck and lacked any rally late.
She’ll be back, though probably t a lower level as we wind the meet down and see if we can get another photo.
Terice may or may not be back for Festival Day. Clay isn’t sure that she’ll be competitive enough in a dirt stake. She may enter on Wednesday for a race on Saturday. A bit if a bump up from where we got her, but not too much higher.