It was our hope to come out of the long weekend with a horse in each barn, however we did not. There were a few reasons for that. The biggest two reasons were budget and quality.
Until we ran Dos Cuernos, Karl was on the sidelines so he wasn’t able to start looking for a couple of weeks.
Additionally, once we lost the horse, our budget for 2 new horses was about $15,000. This means that any claiming race above $10,000 were out and both trainers couldn’t go after $10,000 horses either. The lower level races that were run over this long weekend did not contain anything appealing to either trainer, though Karl had an eye on one yesterday but decided against it. The horse ran poorly so it was a solid pass.
We want the trainer to be comfortable with the horse he brings into his barn as his reputation is on the line every time that horse runs. They are the experts that we pay for their experience and expertise and we need to rely on that – in spite of how very anxious we all are to get back to racing.
Claiming a horse just to have a horse is even a less ideal circumstance than not having a horse at all: claiming a mistake is very pricey in the form of higher vets costs and less racing opportunity.
However Nevada is looking at deciding between a pair he’s already looking at on Friday and Karl is looking forward to Saturday’s draw on Wednesday to go over the entries.
Hopefully we will exit next weekend with a pair of horses and we will have ample opportunity to run the rest of the season.