Lil is going tomorrow evening in a 5F, $12,500 optional claiming race over the turf. We’re in race 7 with Betty Jo Williams aboard.
We are in for the claiming price of $12,500 even though she is eligible for the allowance condition. We can’t hold on to the horse, the season is ending so why not offer her up? She’s healthy and has heart and that could be attractive to someone. Or not. We’ll know more about that around 8 PM!
I will have the last Satellite win picture with me as well as a few more copies of the earlier win photos for folks that did not receive them but wanted them. I will be just outside the fence outside of number 5 before the race because we do not have paddock access.
Here is the field:
Diva de Kela (Biehler/Arrieta) – While the local product hasn’t won outside of statebred company, she’s come awfully close. She’ll sit off it and come running late. Moving to the turf for only the second time, the first she finished 9th last year in a state bred allowance.
Lucky Loretta (Berndt/Eikleberry) – Came back off a year layoff to score at $10,000 and just missed by a head last out at this level. Another that appears to want to come and get them late. Like the rail filly, she is making her second start on the turf, her first was a 7th place finish at Same Houston in 2018 at a much higher level.
Forty Nine Model (Flores/Hernandez) – Three year old has been moving around a little and makes her Canterbury turf debut. Has flashed early speed and moves back to this level where she ran after being claimed for $20,000, albeit over the dirt.
Tailorbeswift (Richard/Quinonez) – We lost Alfonso to this filly who debuted very sharply in a turf sprint MSW a couple of weeks ago. Coincidently her Beyer was the same as ours in our maiden breaker (66). She was on the lead and fought for it throughout the race, winning by one.
Therighttobeararms (Silva/Chirinos) – A winner last out in a $10,000 claiming/$5000 starter last out at 5F leading every step of the way.
Winnager (Robertson/Mawing) – Interesting filly scratched out of our last race, the $10,000 claimer, to enter this race – tougher and no tag. Mac would not have made this switch if he didn’t feel that she was better than $10,000. Her win was a front running one and could be really tough.
All Native (Litfin/Valenzuela) – Nevada’s other horse (also jilted by Quinonez) should be pressing the pace early. Ran a similar race to us last out, leading until late and holding on for third, though at a higher level.
Rental Pool (Robertson/Lindsay) – MN bred cutting back out of the Minnesota Oaks where she finished third. She beat a state bred allowance field over the turf this year but faltered late against open company. She tried to make a run late in the Oaks but was frontrunning at a mile on the turf.
The race should be an interesting one. There is definitely some speed as well as some real closers. Several nice horses, especially on the inside, aren’t really turf horses so that should be interesting. The weather looks to be lovely so I can’t envision the race coming off the turf. Could that lead to a scratch or two? It could – especially if another race is found to enter next Tuesday for some of the “dirt” horses. However it would not surprise me to have the race stay intact.
Can/will we be on the lead or try and sit off? Betty will determine that as the race unfolds. Lil tends to break pretty well and we’re dead in the middle of the field, so hopefully she’ll have some options. Enough of the speed goes, it wouldn’t be the worst trip in the world to be able to sit behind them and try and make a run.
It’s a pretty tough field, for sure, but – as you’ll see Nevada mention below – she tries hard and we know she’ll give it her all. And if there is one thing I have seen with Betty riding the last few years – she’ll have the filly in a position to make some noise – the rest will be up to Lilly.
Ted, I would like to get a photo from Lil’s win that I am in. I’ll be out around 2 tomorrow and will be upstairs. I’ll look for you.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM Canterbury Racing Club wrote:
> tlgrevelis posted: “Lil is going tomorrow evening in a 5F, $12,500 > optional claiming race over the turf. We’re in race 7 with Betty Jo > Williams aboard. We are in for the claiming price of $12,500 even though > she is eligible for the allowance condition. We can’t hold on to ” >
Sounds good. Depending on when Mayo can spring Heather, we might be there much before 6:30, but certainly will be around before the race.