Bills & Plans for 2013

Happy New Year!

We have finally collected all of the bills and are in the process of paying them and closing out the account. It looks like everyone will be getting back a little bit more than half of what they put into the club this year.

It will probably take us another week or so to get all of the accounting finalized and to come up with a complete financial update for the group.

Plan on another post wrapping up the 2012 Racing Club next week. Plus, we hope to have more information for you on plans for 2013!

Update & Financial Timeline

As we mentioned here, Bam was sold about a week ago. That puts a bow on the Racing Club for 2012. We’ll wait to gather the final financial information and pay the final bills. Hopefully, we’ll get the final bills within the next week or so and we can have everything wrapped up, including checks back to you, by the end of the month of January.

As some have pointed out in the comments, the new connections of Bam decided to enter him back and run him yesterday in a $7,500 claiming race. He went off as the second choice (behind a different horse of Clay’s Songfoya) and ran a non-threatening fifth. Clay did win the race with his other horse.

Hawthorne is now closed for live racing until February 17, so it’s probable we won’t see him entered again until they reopen.

We hope you’ve had fun following the club along in 2012. We’ll be back with a financial update as soon as we receive all of the final bills.

Have a great New Year!

Bam Runs 3rd, is Sold

It wasn’t exactly the way we wanted it to end, but Bam finished 3rd yesterday. It was clear early in the race that he was fighting the restraint of jockey Seth Martinez. Obviously, Seth didn’t want him to run himself out of the race early. Unfortunately, after fighting restraint early in the race, Bam ran out of gas in mid-stretch and finished 3rd, beaten just over three lengths.

In four starts, Bam gave us two wins, a second and a third. The good news is that he certainly ran well when on the track, the bad news is that he didn’t get to the track enough. In all, it was worth it to send Bam to Chicago as it ended up being a profitable trip for the group.

Following the race, Great Bam was sold for $3,000 to a group that includes Kevin Lay. In all, that’s a pretty fair price given the fact that there will be no racing in Chicago for the next six weeks and the fact that they are still dealing with the Equine herpesvirus issues that leave them quarantined at the track. Had the quarantine not been in place, we likely could have gotten a little more as he could have been sent to another track; however, once a quarantine goes into effect, there isn’t much that can be done.

If you’ve been following Hawthorne’s racing recently, you’ve noticed that their claiming activity has more or less come to a complete stop due to these issues. Thus, this seemed like a fair price and will allow us to close out the group per the original club agreement.

Some of you may remember that Kevin was involved in the racing club last year. Hopefully this means you’ll be able to continue to follow Great Bam and maybe we’ll see him back at Canterbury in 2013!

If my math is correct, in total, the 2012 racing club compiled a record as follows:


1 Start (1 Second)

Great Bam

4 Starts (2 Firsts, 1 Second and 1 Third)

Lovely Tak

3 Starts (1 First and 2 Fourths)

High Spirit

3 Starts (1 First and 2 Thirds)

Thanks to everyone that joined this year’s club. We’ll be back after the holidays with updates including information regarding the finalization of the sale and a final financial update once all of the bills have been paid.

Have a great holiday season and a wonderful New Year.

Bam in Race 1 on Friday

As you may have already found out, Great Bam has been entered in Race 1 on Friday, a $10,000 claiming race going 6 and 1/2 furlongs with a purse of $16,000. On paper, it stacks up as a relatively competitive affair but the good news is that it’s only a field of six. Seth Martinez will again have the call.

Clay decided that this is where Great Bam likely had the best chance of winning. Taking a quick scan through the Past Performances for Friday and you can see that the $5,000 claiming race going six furlongs drew a capacity crowd (two of which are trained by Clay). In reality, that race is just about as tough as the $10,000 claimer.

Additionally, the allowance race did go drawing a field of 8. If you compare that group to the group Bam will face there is a noticeable class difference. Six of the eight runners in the allowance race have produced a Beyer Speed Figure this year that is better than the career high Bam ran his last time out.

Thus, we run in the first against five foes. Here’s a quick look at the field:

#1 Longer Version The Illinois-bred has been facing state-bred competition and now goes in against open toward the end of the Hawthorne meet. He has been soundly defeated in three starts off the claim and is likely to be the highest price in the race.

#2 Schillerthekiller – This name may be familiar to you. Clay trained this horse throughout the summer and he notched one victory and one second place finish from two Canterbury starts. He was claimed away from Clay two starts back and finished fourth against similar competition last time out. Has a right to be competitive.

#3 Great Bam – You are all familiar with him. Not clear how the extra half furlong will affect him but he has hit the board in four of five career races at the distance. Without any other clearly defined front-runner, might he go straight to the lead today?

#4 Angel Talk – Takes a slight drop in class down a claiming level back to the level of his most recent victory. Has beaten handily in his two efforts against better. Eleven career wins include six at Hawthorne so he knows his way around this oval. Could potentially go to the lead depending on how quickly Bam gets into stride.

#5 Lalo’s Baby Bear – Exits a win last time out at this level and has some impressive back class. It’s possible that he is rounding back into form and that likely gives him just a slight lean on the morning line when it comes out. One to fear.

#6 Go Doug Go – Will be scratched out of a $14,000 claiming race on Thursday to run here instead. Slight drop down the ladder makes him a contender in here; however, he’ll need a quick pace to run down from off the pace. Probably the third wagering choice.

That’s a quick look at the field for Friday. Post time for the opener is 2:00pm. Hope you can sneak out to Canterbury to watch the race! Good luck.

Financial Update & Plans

First of all, we apologize that we have gone so long without an update. We spoke with Clay today and his plans are to work Great Bam on either Sunday or Monday depending on the weather and then run him on Friday, December 21, one week from tomorrow.

He has selected that day due to the numerous options that are available. In the Condition Book for that day, you can find a $5,000 claiming race going six furlongs, a $10,000 claiming race going six and one half furlongs and an allowance race going six and one half furlongs.Thus, plenty of options depending on what Clay feels is best.

Entries for Friday, December 21 will be taken on Sunday.

We’ll let you know when we hear more about Clay’s plans.

Here is an update of the group’s finances through the end of November.

Total Balance at Start of November – $26,505.54

November Expenses:

November Training ($30 days $60 per day) – $1,800

Great Bam Shoes – $125

November Veterinarian Expenses:

Bleeding Examinations – $120

Raceday & Anti-Bleeding Medication – $45

Electrolytes, Vitamins and Enzymes – $105

Thyroid Medication, Joint Lubricants and Supplements –  $183.50

Total November Expenses: $2,378.50

Balance as of November 30, 2012 = $24,127.04

Bam Works Out

As a couple of you have pointed out, Great Bam worked out on Sunday. The work was relatively moderate, going four furlongs in 51.40 seconds (ranked 22 of 40 at the distance). Jeff spoke with Clay after the workout and said that all went according to schedule.

Clay told Jeff that he intends to walk bam today and tomorrow, send him to the track to gallop on Wednesday and if all goes according to plan, he’ll work again next weekend and will be ready to enter.

First of December Update

Great Bam has gone through all his exercise this week without incident to this point in the week. Clay hopes to work him early next week Monday or Tuesday and then find a place for him to run if he continues to do well.

Given that we missed the allowance race, it likely doesn’t make sense to wait for another one to come around as we’d have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks. Thus, Clay will start looking for claiming races that Bam would be eligible for and that make sense based on his training regimen.

Great Bam Update

First of all, we hope that you had a good Thanksgiving and we apologize that we were unable to post this sooner due to the Holiday.

Bam galloped late last week and bled, similar to what happened to him here in late May. The vet looked at him then and again yesterday after he jogged. Although he did not bleed yesterday, the vet advised against entering him as a precaution.

The plan moving forward is to jog today, gallop tomorrow and then breeze him mid-week and see what happens. Depending how that regimen works, new plans will be made.

The vet suggested sending him to an off-track animal hospital for examination. However, Clay opted against that as it is likely we find no new information and spend $1,000 or more in the process.

Obviously, it’s disappointing to have this happen right before a race that you’ve been waiting on, but there isn’t much you can do about it. Racing is a tough game and horses certainly aren’t machines.

We will keep you apprised of any news and will let you know what happens during the week following the prescribed training plan.

Great Bam Aiming for Allowance Race

Clay reports that Great Bam is doing well following his latest victory. Plans call for trying allowance company; however, when exactly that may be is a bit of a mystery.

The next allowance race that Bam would fit the conditions of (non-winners of one race other than maiden, claiming or starter) going short on the dirt doesn’t come up again in the Condition Book until November 30. Obviously, a bit of a wait. Thus, the hope is that it will come up as an extra prior to that date.

Unfortunately, we have no control over this and due to the fact that the allowance race is worth $30,000 – $32,000 it is worth the wait. Hawthorne does not run conditioned claiming races for non-winners of four races lifetime; thus, our options are to run in the allowance (for a purse of $30,000 – $32,000) or run in an open claiming race.

If we were to run in the open claiming races, Great Bam’s recent Beyer Speed Figure of 81 (a lifetime best) would make him competitive at the open $7,500 claiming level where the purse is only $14,000 or the open $5,000 claiming level where the purse is only $13,000.

Thus, for now, it makes sense to wait on an allowance race to see if we can take home a big prize. Stay tuned!